Animal Control

Community Service Officers

The police department's Community Service Officers (CSOs) are responsible for animal control in the city; however, CSOs can only respond to animal control calls while on duty. Please review the list below to understand how animal calls will be dispatched.

Non-critical animal complaints and concerns should be directed to 651-767-0640.
Ruben Assists with Dog

Critical Animal Call - 911 - Patrol Officer Will Respond

  • Animal Bite
  • Animal in Custody (only vicious or seriously injured)
  • Dangerous/Aggressive Animal
  • Neglected Animals (immediate threat of injury/death)
  • Wild Animal (immediate threat to humans)
  • Animal Noise Complaint (response dependent on priority of call and availability of officers)

Non-Critical Animal Call - 651-767-0640 - Will Hold Until CSO On Duty

  • Animal at Large
  • Animal in Custody (not vicious or seriously injured)
  • Neglected Animals (not immediate threat of injury/death)

Wild Animals (Not Immediate Threat to Humans)

The Roseville Police Department does not respond to wildlife complaints unless the animal is an immediate threat to humans. For wildlife complaints or concerns, please contact the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources at 651-296-6157.

Injured or orphaned wild animals may be brought to the Wildlife Rehibilitation Center located at:
2530 Dale St. N.
Roseville, MN 55113

Learn more about coyotes by viewing a video presentation from our Coyote Clinic.

Domestic Animals

Per Roseville city Code, all domestic animals need to be leashed; however, if a licensed animal is at large, the police department will make every effort to contact the owner. Unlicensed animals will be taken to St. Paul Animal Control (651-266-1100), 1285 Jessamine Ave. W in St. Paul, where they will be kept for a minimum of five days at the owner's expense.

  • Roseville police officers or animal control officers are not authorized to impound lost or recovered cats except when a citizen is unable to transport the animal, or when an officer reasonable believes the cat represents a public safety risk, or when a cat requires quarantine due to a bite, or in other circumstances approved by the police chief or their designee (e.g., sick, injured, abandoned, or in imminent risk of becoming sick, injured or abandoned, such as orphaned kittens, cats stuck in sewers, etc.).
  • Owners wishing to surrender cats, or residents concerned about outdoor cats that are apparently healthy should seek out nongovernmental resources (e.g., Animal Humane Society (AHS),
  • Did you know? According to AHS, a stray cat who is healthy and friendly likely belongs to a neighbor. Cats have a far better chance of reuniting with their owner when they're left in the area in which they were found. Unfortunately, less than five percent of stray cats brought into shelters are reclaimed by their owners.
For more information, please call 651-792-7235 or email Lead CSO Kirk Lindahl.

Pet licenses are not handled by Police Animal Control. They may be obtained from or submitted to the City Hall front desk during business hours. Please call 651-792-7000 for questions about pet licensing.