The way we shop certainly has changed. Instead of going to the store, the store comes to our homes through our computers. It makes shopping easier, but it also makes things easier for thieves.
With mail carriers and package delivery companies dropping packages and gifts at our doors here are a couple of suggestions to help prevent package theft.
- If possible, have packages delivered to your work or to a trusted friend or neighbor who will be available at the delivery time.
- Track package delivery times. Many delivery companies provide real-time schedules and can alert you when a package is delivered.
- Install motion detectors lights and video cameras so you can monitor your home.
- Ask the delivery service to hold your package for customer pick-up at their local shipping facility.
- Identify a safe spot away from the front door to hide any packages that are being delivered.
- If you do not receive your shipment on time, check with the company of origin and confirm the delivery. If the item was delivered and you did not receive it, report the loss to the company and to the Police Department.
- If you see suspicious activity, (for example, delivery truck making the rounds and a vehicle following behind, or unfamiliar person approaching a home that has a package visible) immediately call 9-1-1. It’s important that we hear from you right away to protect yourself and your neighbors.
Contact Roseville Community Relations Coordinator Corey Yunke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-792-7209 for additional suggestions.