Each spring Roseville City staff receives complaints from homeowners who have door-to-door salespeople using high pressure and intimidating tactics to get homeowners to buy their products or services.
Many solicitors target senior citizens and try to scare them into making immediate decisions. If someone is at your door and you feel pressured to make a decision, tell the person to leave. If they do not leave, call 9-1-1.
The State requires building contractors to be licensed. Ask to see their license number then contact the Department of Labor and Industry at 651-284-5065 to verify if the license is current or if they have any unresolved complaints. Roseville City staff carry a picture identification card. Ask to see proper identification before letting anyone into your home.
Before you hire someone to do home repairs or landscaping projects, we encourage you:
- Ask your friends or neighbors for recommendations for companies or individuals.
- Check references, and check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been filed against the person or company.
- Do not be pressured into making an immediate decision about purchasing a product or service.
- Do not work with a contractor who requires full or substantial prepayment on work, and do not pay in full until work is completed to your satisfaction.
Contact the Attorney General’s Office at 651-296-3353 if you believe you have not received the services for which you paid.
Roseville requires the following businesses or individuals to be licensed. Licensing verifies that they are carrying insurance, which is a protection to homeowners. Call 651-792-7005 to check whether a license is current.
- Tree Removal Companies
- Tree Trimmers
- Fertilizer Companies
- Heating Contractors
- Driveway Installers
- Cement and Brickwork Companies
- Sewer and Water Repair Companies